at Mulkey Cemetery
Over a thousand burials have
made at the Mulkey Cemetery.
This list of interments
is based on historic and modern cemetery records, grave markers, and
research conducted by Tami Dingle in the records of England's Funeral
Home in Eugene.
This list represents most of the
information which the
cemetery has on the
individuals buried here. We welcome any additional historical
information our visitors can provide.
Our resources for responding to research requests are presently very
limited. Please feel
free to e-mail us at administrator [at sign] mulkeycemetery.org for
For more information on the Mulkey family, we recommend consulting Phillip Mulkey Hunt's 1982 The Mulkeys of America, available at a number of research and reference libraries in the United States.
Abbott - Grate
Hagan - Murry
Nadeau - Zeaman
Mulkey Cemetery: A
Mulkey Cemetery is named for Philip Mulkey, a
native of Kentucky who
arrived in Oregon in 1853, accompanied by
his wife, Martha, and several
of their adult children. The elder
Mulkeys farmed 320 acres of land in
what became west Eugene. Philip was
the first traveling preacher in Lane County and became a well-known
Pioneer life in Oregon was
rewarding but challenging. Between 1863 and 1865, Martha Mulkey
three of the Mulkey grandchildren died. They were buried on a hilltop
above the Willamette Valley, which
became known informally as the
By the late 1870s, more than
25 burials had taken place at the cemetery. In the 1880s, several local
families joined together to formally deed the hilltop land as a
cemetery. The arrangement was formalized in 1891,
when a plat map was
made and recorded with the county.
From the late nineteenth
century through the 1950s, the cemetery was surrounded by the pear and
cherry orchards planted by Edward Hawkins, who came to Oregon as a
child in 1845.
After Hawkins' death in 1956, the orchard
was subdivided. The area is
still known as "Hawkins Heights," and the names of early settlers have
become the names of streets in this quiet residential
The Mulkey Cemetery is maintained by the Mulkey Cemetery Association, a
private nonprofit group.